Baci is an important ceremony practised in Lao culture. It is a phi ritual used to celebrate important events and occasions such as births, marriages, the entrance to monkhood, the beginning of a new year, and travel. It involves blessings, prayers and the tying of strings around a person’s wrist to preserve good luck and has become a national custom in Laos.
Guests are transported by a 15-minute leisurely private boat ride to explore Pha Tad Ke’s unique and secluded botanical garden, artistic and cultural space. Discover the flora of Laos before joining a Baci ceremony.
Follow the map provided to embark on a self-guided stroll around the unique collection of the flora of Laos. Look out for gingers, orchids, ferns, bamboos and palms clustered around the limestone cliffs. There are free workshops available on tea-tasting (all day at the Cafe), bamboo handicraft (10-11am and 2-3pm), a conservation talk (10am) and an orchid talk (3pm). For a cultural and artistic focus visit the exhibitions at Project Space - Pha Tad Ke. Exhibits here combine contemporary art, museum-quality textiles, photography, tribal sculpture and crafts.
In the afternoon join in a Baci ceremony led by local elders. Participate with a group in a spiritual offering that includes ceremonies such as prayers and blessings. Local elders tie strings around your wrists as an offering of good luck for your continuing spiritual journey through life. The garden acts as a sanctuary for this most memorable of experiences. At the end of the day enjoy a leisurely cruise back to the peninsula with drop off at Ban Wat That.
- A Baci ceremony with local spiritual leaders and Pha Tad Ke Staff in a tranquil setting based at our garden.
- Outside Guides receive complimentary entrance and lunch when accompanying paying guests.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
Thing You Should Bring
- Drinking water
- Insect repellent
Thing You Should Know
It is a not-for-profit organisation. All ticket proceeds go to the development of our garden, research and education.
- The garden is closed every wednesday.
- No tour guide for this tour.
- Children under 12 years old are free.
- No insurance.
- Please be at the hotel lobby at least 10 minutes before the scheduled pick up. As this is a join in tour, please be patient in cases of unforeseen delays along the pick up route
- Additional surcharge will apply if hotel is outside of Luang Prabang city, to be paid directly to the operator. Operator will reconfirm the surcharge amount in advance