Opened in 2009, the Nam Nern Night Safari is a 24-hour boat-based wildlife spotting tour into the Nam Et-Phou Louey National Park. The trip highlight is night-time wildlife spotlighting: long-tail boats drift down the Nam Nern River looking for wild and endangered animals such as: Sambar Deer, multiple species of Civets, Spotted Linsang, Asian Golden Cat, Leopard Cat, Pythons and many more. Day time boat trip upstream the river offers opportunities for birdwatching, including Blyth’s Kingfishers, Red Jungle Fowl, Mountain Hawk Eagle. In addition, visitors are welcome to follow the National Park’s guide on a short optional hike around the camp to learn about the medical plans and history of the area, as well as to visit the nearby ranger substation. Visitors of the Night Safari stay overnight in jungle bungalows inside the National Park, built and managed by the community.
This innovative and adventurous journey is not only one of the few opportunities in Laos to view wildlife, but the trip is designed to support alternative livelihoods for local people and generate community support for wildlife conservation.
The Night Safari has gained public recognition and international visibility as well as won the ‘World Responsible Tourism Award’ both in year 2013 and 2014. The project currently employs directly around 40 families and benefits 14 villages.
Easy 24 hour tour. All year Long. All Age.
- Travel by Boat into the Total Protection Zone of the National Park
- Best for Nighttime Wildlife Spotting & Bird Watching
- Visit an old Buddhist Stupa covered by Jungle (Optional)
- Meet the Forest Rangers (Optional)
- Overnight in comfortable Jungle bungalows
- World Responsible Tourism Award in 2013 & 2014!
- National Park’s Entrance Fee
- Village Ecotourism Benefit Fund Fee
- District Office of Information, Culture & Tourism Fee
- National Park’s English Speaking Guide
- Village team services: wildlife spotter, boatmen, cleaning, cooking, and handicraft group
- Boat service fee and petrol
- Food and water
- Sleeping equipment (Mattress, Mosquito net, Pillow and Blanket)
- Life jackets and helmets for the boat trip
- 15-20L Dry bags for your important personal items
Thing You Should Bring
Please bring just one small bag/backpack and leave large suitcases or long-‐haul backpacks in the village or your car.
- Light rain jacket
- Fleece jacket (strongly recommended as the night safari can be very cold)
- Sun hat for daytime
- Wool cap for night
- Long pants for walking in the forest
- Shoes for short walking
- Sandals for bathing
- An extra t-shirt
- Shorts for sleeping/bathing (optional)
- Insect repellent
- Snacks (food is provided, but you might want to bring something to snack on)
- Reusable water bottle (help us to reduce waste)
- Binoculars. Bring your own or rent from National Park office. We have BARSKA Embark 10x42mm binoculars. Rent is Free, but a 200'000LAK deposit per binocular is required. Let us know how many.
Thing You Should Know
1. Weather can be both very hot during the daytime and very cold at night. It is recommended that you bring clothes for both extremes.
2. Children aged 1 to 5 is free.
3. The NEPL NPA’s ecotours are non-profit ventures with the majority of the income from the tours directly benefiting the local communities. All earnings are reinvested back into the ecotourism and other conservation projects.