Join us in the Slow Food Garden for a hands on workshop to learn about the plants and ingredients in the Slow Food Garden and then prepare some simple dishes together.
The workshop begins at 2pm in the Slow Food Garden. The workshop is hosted by a Chef Chan who will talk about Slow Food as you discover the ingredients that can be found growing in the garden. Lao cuisine is both delicious and largely undiscovered. Once you are familiar with the ingredients then together we prepare some simple dishes such as – Papya Salad, Laap, Miengs and Jaews. The setting is rustic and you will be working either at a Sala bar or seated on a bamboo floor with mats. There will also be an opportunity to make herbal teas and depending on the season edible flowers may also be available. Once the teas and Lao dishes are ready sit together and enjoy what you have prepared.
Self-Guided tour of the Garden
Either before or after the workshop follow the map provided on arrival to embark on a self-guided stroll around the unique collection of the flora of Laos. Look out for gingers, orchids, ferns, bamboos and palms clustered around the limestone cliffs. There are plenty of signs provided to explain the medicinal, handicraft and spiritual significance of the plants on show. For those wanting a more challenging trek, take the path to the Buddha Cave (1 hour round trip). For a cultural and artistic focus visit the exhibitions at Project Space. Exhibits here combine contemporary art, museum-quality textiles, photography, tribal sculpture and crafts. At the end of the day enjoy a leisurely cruise back to the peninsula with drop off at Ban Wat That.
- A tranquil 15-minute boat ride on the Mekong River on the private Pha Tad Ke boat.
- Entrance fee + Slow Food Garden Workshop and ‘Afternoon Tea’ with Chef Chan.
- Free activities: bamboo handicraft, conservation and orchid talks, herbal tea tasting, cave hike.
- Access to the Permaculture Demonstration Farm and Project Space gallery exhibitions.
- Outside Guides receive complimentary entrance and lunch when accompanying paying guests.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
Thing You Should Bring
- Drinking water
- Insect repellent
Thing You Should Know
It is a not-for-profit organisation. All ticket proceeds go to the development of our garden, research and education.
- The garden is closed every wednesday.
- No tour guide for this tour.
- Children under 12 years old are free.
- No insurance.
- Please be at the hotel lobby at least 10 minutes before the scheduled pick up. As this is a join in tour, please be patient in cases of unforeseen delays along the pick up route
- Additional surcharge will apply if hotel is outside of Luang Prabang city, to be paid directly to the operator. Operator will reconfirm the surcharge amount in advance