Your Local Host. Laos is our home and pottery classes are our passion.
We are the Lamphet family and it's our genuine desire for you to experience the best that Laos has to offer. We started Pottery House Lao Food Tours in cooperation with the Luang Prabang Tourism Department in our own village because we feel like the jewels of Laos are found among the people who call it home. Through our pottery tour we hope to bring you into contact with these people, their culture, their history, and their food.
It has long been our passion to preserve the history and tradition of our village. Chan Nua Village has been making pottery for centuries but that way of life is slowly fading away. Our hope is to use these tours to preserve the tradition of our village and provide a sustainable way of life for families all the while showcasing to the world the special things that make us proud to call Laos home.
We know that you will fall in love with Laos and what is has to offer!
The use of pottery in Laos is mostly utilitarian and while you will not find intricate patterns and design in Laotian pottery, it does not take away from the beauty of these everyday objects that were once used in all households.
In keeping with Lao tradition of pottery manufacture, situated on the opposite bank of the Mekong River, at a 10 minute boat-ride downstream from Luang Prabang, Ban Chan Village is known as a popular place for its high quality pottery products with long history on the traditional craft. And what better way to get a feel of this ancient craft than by getting down and dirty with our master pottery in a workshop where you will get to make your own earthenware. :)
Note: The fire procession will take about 7 days, so if you stay in Luang Prabang more than 7 days, we can certainly fire it in the kiln and bring it to your hotel. Otherwise you can simply take home one of the host's final products.
The itinerary begins with a 90-minute tour of the village pottery center, while learning about traditional Lao life. Next comes an hour-long demonstration of pottery techniques by local families, followed by a hands-on opportunity for each guest including kids. The tour ends with a Lao meal.
Mr Lamphet believes Pottery House Lao Food Tours delivers what tourists demand. “Visitors come to Laos because they want to see untouched Southeast Asia. They want to see untamed beauty. They want to see a place and people that can change the way you see the world. We know our pottery tour will help you walk away from Laos feeling like you found what you were looking for.”
The tours conclude with the Lamphet family cooking up sampling of traditional Luang Prabang specialties like khaipan (fried river weed), grilled fish, eggplant dipping sauce, and spicy papaya salad.
“One of the highlights of Laos is the delicious food cooked, as always, with lots of love,” Mr Lamphet said. “All the ingredients come from local sources and, depending on the season, they might even come from our very own organic garden.”
Get to enjoy the magnificent views of the mountain while taking a boat to the pottery village. Visit a hidden pottery village opposite Luang Prabang that few tourists venture. At the village, you will witness how pots are being made and experience making pottery using Laotian techniques with the guidance of the locals, create your own earthenware design. While working on your masterpiece, you can chat with the locals to get an insight of their lifestyles. Lastly, enjoy the local cuisine freshly made from local ingredients.
- Hotel transfer to the pottery village
- Lunch/dinner provided
- Village tour
- Materials needed for the workshop
Comfortable clothes and shoes.
Thing You Should Bring
- Hand sanitizer
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle
- Bring raincoat or umbrella if it’s rainy season (Rainy season is from May to mid October)
Thing You Should Know
- A minimum of 2 participants are required to conduct the workshop.
- As traditional method is used to fire the pot, it will take weeks to do so. We are sorry to inform you that you won't be able to bring back your own masterpiece. However, you can take a small souvenir back from the village.
Term and Condition
- Children from infancy to 3 years of age (to a maximum of 2 children) can accompany the parents for free of charge.
- 50% discount on all rates will apply for children from 4 to 12 year of age.
100% refund at least 14 day(s) before tours date.
50% refund at least 3 day(s) before tours date.
0% refund at least 0 day(s) before tours date.
- Please be at the hotel lobby at least 10 minutes before the scheduled pick up. As this is a join in tour, please be patient in cases of unforeseen delays along the pick up route
- Additional surcharge will apply if hotel is outside of Luang Prabang city, to be paid directly to the operator. Operator will reconfirm the surcharge amount in advance